PlayPumps International is a charity that provides easy access to clean drinking water, helps improve the lives of children and their families, enhances public health and offers play equipment to millions of children across Africa.
How do they work you ask? Well, while children have fun spinning on the PlayPump merry-go-round:
– Clean water is pumped from underground into a 2,500-liter tank standing seven meters above the ground;
– A simple tap makes it easy for adults and children to draw water;
– Excess water is diverted from the storage tank back down into the borehole; and
– The design of the system makes it highly effective, easy to operate and economical, keeping costs/maintenance minimal;
– Capable of producing up to 1,400 liters of water per hour at 16 rpm from a depth of 40 meters, it is effective up to a depth of 100 meters.
Companies, just like Fjord, work with them by employees donating money to build a PlayPump in an identified area of need.
Fun for children creates essential water for drinking. Sound like elegant simplicity to you? We thought it did. This, coupled with the obvious connection with water, made us think this was a perfect thing for Fjord. We organised for each office to make it easy for the people to contribute, and many Fjordians have now donated towards PlayPumps.
We asked them to find a site for us and they came back with the following message, “We have a great site for Fjord : Qugqwaru Junior Secondary School which is in an extremely rural and poor area of the Eastern Cape. They are desperately in need as they have been struggling for many years without water at the school and have been depending on the community to supply them with water, which is never popular as the community is also very poor and most of them don’t work, so try to survive by growing their own vegetables and there isn’t enough water to go round. Once the PlayPump is installed the school hopes to start a vegetable garden”
We are very proud to say that that PlayPump now exists:
If anyone reading this would like to instigate this within their own company (and we hope you do) you can start it by contacting Sandra Hayes, her details are below: